Monday, August 30, 2010

Catharsis is Priceless: My Favorite Sad Songs

"Bob Dylan's 49th Beard"
Wilco

You’ll be happier when I’m gone

Much too busy to worry

I’ll be sad and you’ll feel bad

But I know you won’t be sorry


“Brick”

Ben Folds Five

Now that I have found someone

I’m feeling more alone

Than I ever had before


“Nothing Better”

The Postal Service

Man: Tell me am I right to think

That there could be nothing better

Than making you my bride and slowly growing old together


Woman: Don’t you feed me lies

About some idealistic future

How can I heal right if you keep tearing out the sutures?


“High and Dry”

Radiohead

Oh, it’s the best thing that you ever had

The best thing you had had is gone away


Don’t leave me high; don’t leave me dry


“Poison Oak”

Bright Eyes

And when I press the keys

It all gets reversed

The sound of loneliness makes me happier

3 comments:

  1. "Now that I have found someone
    I’m feeling more alone
    Than I ever had before"

    He found someone to give his girlfriend an abortion. That's what the song's about. Sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a Happy Song list? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ale: I did know about the background of the song "Brick". It's a sad story. Even though the song was arguably overplayed, it's still a classic to me. There are few songs that are as sincerely painful as that one.

    Mom: I actually thought about that. Maybe I'll do a happy song list soon.

    ReplyDelete