
Clint Eastwood once said:
Most pictures that I’ve done I’ve had no idea whether anybody would ever want to see them. I’ve figured I’d like to see it.
So far, that has largely been my attitude toward my blog. I thought, I’m going to write a blog that I will enjoy writing and reading and hope that others will find something interesting and valuable. Recently, however, I’ve admitted to myself that I do have a desire for greater readership. As much as I enjoy writing, I see more value in writing something that will be read. Ideas, after all, need to have a following to be powerful. Common Sense would not have been a catalyst for the American Revolution had it only been fare for Thomas Paine’s houseguests. Of course, I’d be lying if I said that I don’t have a slight emotional stake in the success of this enterprise.
I have thought of several ways to expand the appeal of my blog and to bring in more followers:
- More pictures
- Shorter entries
- Balancing accessible, personal entries with weightier philosophical and political fare
- Unabashed blog promotion on facebook and other forums (sort of a joke…)
After all, Eastwood also said:
The reason I’m still making pictures is because I enjoy it and I want everybody to enjoy it. It’s a fun process. When it doesn’t become fun, you won’t see me doing it anymore.
There is something to be said for a bit of mass appeal. It makes everything more fun. I'd take my model from shows like the Colbert Report or bands like Wilco. Comparatively, they don't have enormous followings; instead, they have medium-sized followings of extremely loyal fans.
This is not a formulaic process and it may take time. Even so, I welcome any suggestions. Your thoughts?
Explanatory Note: I'm not actually talking about massive numbers of readers in the near future. I'd be happy with a "Wilco-style" following 2 or 3 dozen in the near future.
I am a loyal follower of your blog. Write what you want. Be true to who you are (you're actually really good at that) and people will follow.
ReplyDeletePS. Another good idea is to comment on other people's blogs. They will feel obligated to visit your site and comment in return. Also, add more links to your site. For example, more blogs, favorite websites, etc.
Thanks. Those are some good ideas. As I know you'd agree, Katie, I think there is a way to be true to yourself, while packaging your ideas in a attention-grabbing and appealing way. One recent example is the popularity of "Mormon Messages". The Church isn't discarding or repudiating the 15 minute videos of General Conference talks, but it is making creative videos that combine short excerpts and principles from those talks with music, photographs, text, and footage. The packaging should not distract from the content, but rather enhance it. Additionally, as I think we've seen with "Mormon Messages," a well packaged message means that the content is experience by people who wouldn't otherwise have watched General Conference or picked up an Ensign. When done right, truth doesn't have to be compromise, though it might be condensed (though some might argue that you can't condense without compromising). Thoughts?
ReplyDeleteI think you would have more followers if you had the follow button in the side bar along with the list of followers. People are used to seeing that on blogs, and I get the feeling some blog surfers don't realize that there is also a follow button along the top. Plus, we can't ignore the fact that some people follow blogs just because their friends do, so if they see that some of their friends are following this blog, they'll be more interested in jumping on the bandwagon. Brandon's blog has this feature, and I think that's why he already has followers. :) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteAdam,
ReplyDeleteI think you've articulated your point well, and your thought process makes sense.
PS. I had a really, really long reply written...but just before I sent the comment, I deleted it for fear of imposing on your comment box. If you want the whole comment, perhaps I can just email it to you. I wouldn't recommend it though. It's really just a release of my thoughts on the whole subject. So..nothing super productive.
Anyway, I digress.
Keep blogging. You'll figure it out.
You have another new blog follower! I can't give you much advice in the area of acquiring readers, I'm pretty sure the number of those who read mine could fit in a smart car.
ReplyDeleteBut, when it comes to keeping up with blogs you're interested in, I highly reccommend Google Reader. It's free, and it's a great feed system that gives you the updates from your favorite blogs all in one place. That way, just like mentioned above, you can comment on other blogs and hopefully get the favor paid back!
Oh, and I discoverd your blog via Facebook, so I say the promotions are working!
ReplyDelete