Sunday, August 15, 2010

Baby Names

Though I’m not married and I don’t have a baby on the way, I’ve been thinking about baby names recently. Which names do I like? Which first names create a pleasant cadence when combined with my last name? I like the idea of saving middle names as tributes to influential friends and relatives. Which ones will receive this tribute?

My Guiding Personal Preferences in Name Selection

1. I once shared a 9th Grade P.E. class with 5 other Adam’s. I’m not saying I don’t like my name, but I would like to select something a bit more rare when I pick my own children’s names.

2. I’m not a fan of names that seem overbearingly masculine (Thor, Steele, etc.)

3. I think names should be spelled as intuitively as possible. The originality should be sought in the name itself, not in the spelling.

4. I don’t plan to have an Adam Jr.

Boys:

Elliott

Note: I’m partial to the double-l, double-t spelling.

Pro: Elliott is relatively uncommon, but not unheard-of name. The name also has a prestigious musical legacy thanks to the band Elliott and the singer-songwriter Elliott Smith.

Con: It’s a name that would be commonly misspelled. I don’t know if I want my son to have to constantly correct the spelling of his name. In addition, Elliott Smith ended a famed music career by committing suicide (or by being murdered, depending on who you ask) after relapsing into heroine addiction. I’m no superstitious, but the name might carry a negative connotation to some people.

Holden

Pro: Holden Fine has a great cadence. The name seems to be so old-fashioned that it’s suddenly modern again. After all, Names, like fashion or music, come and go in cycles. Another name that I like that seems to be after the same tradition is Nolan.

Con: Would Holden be plagued by Catcher in the Rye references his entire life?

Hyrum

Pro: Solid man’s name, without the overbearing masculinity I mentioned. I have deep respect for Hyrum Smith, the unceasingly faithful, loyal, humble, and loving brother of the prophet Joseph.

Con: I supposed it might expose my son to anti-Mormon bigotry. Of course, this is something any faithful member of the church faces, but it adds another dimension if he could be discriminated in college and job applications, before he has the chance to prove his worth in person. I’m kind of just scrambling for a “con” here.

Girls:

Erin

Pro: The name is short, simple, and beautiful.

Con: I have an uncle and good friend named Aaron.

Amber

Pro: I love the sense of radiance that the word “amber” conjures. I also had the sense that the name was fairly uncommon, but according the Census Bureau, it was the 15th most popular name in 1988, my birth year.

Con: Do people like being named after fossilized resin?

Addison

Pro: A very cute name. It seems simultaneously playful and dignified.

Con: “What was that? Allison?”

I enjoy brainstorming, but, in the end, I’m grateful that I won’t be making these decisions alone. :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm curious what you think about this:

    http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=124232&page=1

    I think giving a kid a ridiculous ghetto name is tantamount to child abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nolan is going to be our third son's name! Our first (and currently only) son is Atreyu. I can thank my husband's obsession with the book/movie The Never Ending Story for that one. I wasn't a big fan of it, but he loved it so much I gave in! 2nd boy name: Cassian (pronounced cash-in). It was the name of a villain's son in a great movie, The International. 3rd son: Nolan. Inspired by the genius film maker Christopher Nolan, and it'll pay homage to my Irish roots :)

    My vote goes for Holden as well. Classy, different,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is so funny you have a post about this! Anyway, we think similarly. If Mike and I have any more sons, we love the name Nolan. I like the name Elliott, but for a girl. Also, I like Allison (I know too many Addisons to count). One of my dear friends is named Amber and I have always liked the name and don't think she has a problem with it. I like uncommon, but "normal" names (Aulton and Lyla)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addison is a boy's name. It means (rather fittingly) "Adam's son" in ye olde english. But maybe I'm biased - being a male, named Addison.

    I like Nolan, Holden, and Amber though! : - )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahahaha. I think you should name a kid "Thor."

    Super-excited to find your blog. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete