I believe that the debate on immigration policy in the U.S. is one of the most important policy questions of our time. It will shape our future as a nation. In a broad sense, the debate is about how we view ourselves as a nation.
This debate needs an intelligent dialogue about the economic and social effects of immigration. I'm tired of the word "amnesty" being some sort of unthinkable evil designed to end all debate. Sadly, it often has been reduced to that. Anytime someone even mentions a path to legalization or citizenship of any form, another voice is bound to pipe up, "You want amnesty!" as if that was the only argument they had to make. This is one of the most important issues and, without hyperbole, the decisions that are made in the next few year about immigration policy will literally shape the future of the nation. My congratulations to anyone from either side of the issue who is seeking to elevate the debate rather than reduce it to stifling dogmatism.
I have a lot to say on this issue, so future posts will develop the idea further.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete