Monday, July 19, 2010

Part I: Spontaneity does not Bode Well for Me

Perhaps there are some people who are good at making snap judgment about important issues. I’m not one of those people. I recall that one time, when I was faced with the decision to break-up with a girl or to stay together with her, she offered the following challenge to my appeal for more thinking time: “You shouldn’t have to think about it; you should just know.” I, however, don’t “just know”. If I ever fool myself into thinking that I do “just know” I usually make the wrong decision. Even with emotionally charged issues like this one, I have to ponder, pray, and weigh the consequences of various pathways. Emotion and logic cannot be divorced in such decision-making, and neither can one be ignored. Several days ago, I made a spontaneous decision that I deeply regret. I did not do anything wicked, but I did do something foolish. If I had taken a few minutes to think about this decision before making it, I am almost convinced that I would have chosen otherwise.

Often, we feel that we have been backed into a corner and that an immediate response is required of us. Frequently, however, if we take a moment to think, our “corner” is made of painted cardboard walls, disguised, by ourselves or others, to make us feel trapped – to make us feel that we must decided now. In the future, I plan to test those flimsy walls and not feel pressured to decide immediately. My decisions, to a large degree, determine my happiness. Thus, when I give myself more time to think, I am and will be happier. Thankfully, I do believe in repentance and I know that any given decision I make will not permanently resign me to unhappiness. Even so, the progression of time will never be reversed, so I prefer to avoid errors. Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent point. And I guess the most important thing to remember is that, as long as our intentions are pure...how badly can things really be? (from an eternal perspective, of course :-) )

    ReplyDelete