Thursday, July 22, 2010

Part II: Thoughtful Communication Does Bode Well for Me

Please kindly read "Part I: Spontaneity Does not Bode Well for Me" to accurately put this post in context. Thank you.

Today I asked an important question of an important person. I had long thought about this question - how, when, or if I wanted to raise the subject. After pondering, prayer, and a bit of discussion with one confidant, I came to a tentative conclusion. When I finally asked the question, the discussion went remarkably well. It was everything I hoped it would be - open, honest, mature, heartfelt, and fruitful. The thanks for that result, however, can't be justly attributed to my me or my long-pondered question. All the thanks go to her. She is amazing on so many levels and I am deeply grateful for her. Now, spontaneity may have it's place, but this discussion resulted in wise conclusions, not hasty reactions. I have a difficult time putting myself in the vulnerable position of exposing what a truly feel. I don't believe I need to express my inner insecurities, yearnings, and desires to everyone I meet, but it is liberating to reveal those things to someone who truly "gets" me. This is beautifully vague and I'm keeping it that way.

Jerry Maguire: What do you want from me? My soul?
Dorothy: Why not? I deserve that much.

from Jerry Maguire (1996)

1 comment:

  1. "Growth Through Counsel" chapter 5 of Elder Maxwell's book "All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience."

    So good. And so applicable ;-)

    ReplyDelete